The session is delivered by one of our experienced D/deaf trainers that offers an introduction to deaf awareness. The 2-hour session covers facts, levels and causes of hearing loss, terminology, lipreading, communication hints/tips and some basic BSL (British Sign Language). This session is designed and developed to give you a basic understanding of communication issues affecting deaf people and the skills to communicate with people who are deaf efficiently. Learning about Deaf Awareness Training with YOU CHOOSE I TEACH is fun, easy & flexible and decide if you want to progress to level 1 in BSL qualification.
How the booking is made?
One-2-One: Only one person can book
Public: Anyone can book
Private Group: Only people from the same company/organisation can book. A minimum of 2 people is required.
How will I be taught?
Our unique online live video tutoring sessions have been designed so that anybody interested in learning Deaf Awareness Training has access to available qualified online tutors at your chosen date and time. You can now learn wherever and whenever you like.
What will we cover?
You will learn Deaf Awareness skills at a beginner level relating to the following topic areas:
• BSL Alphabet
• Facts About Deafness
• Different Types of deafness
• Common communication difficulties
• Reasons for poor communication
• Clues to Help Recognise Deafness
• Methods of Communication
• Communication Tactics
• Technology to communicate
• How TypeTalk and Speech-To-Text Phone Works
• English & BSL, the difference
• Lip-reading exercise
• Introduction to BSL signs
• 15-minute Q&A time What will I achieve? By the end of this session, you should be able to achieve one of the following...
• Be able to fingerspell (the manual alphabet) your full name fully and clearly
• Understand Tutor fingerspelling name and repeat
• Understand the different types of deafness and key features of communication difficulties
• Understand the communication needs of deaf customers
• Understand how to adapt your skills to communicate better with a deaf customer
• Be confident in implementing strategies and approaches to facilitate effective communication
• Be able to facilitate simple communication with Deaf people in BSL
What is the requirement for the course?
All learners must compulsorily have a webcam (camera and microphone) for the online training
What level is the course, and do I need any skills?
No essential skills are required for this course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
After completing this session, you can enrol on a Level 1 in BSL course. If you enjoy the tutorials, you can discuss course options with the tutor at the end, should you want to start your journey into learning BSL Level 1 straightaway
Notification of cancellation of a booking by you:
5 working days before the start date = 75% refund.
2 working days before the start date = 50% refund.
Less than 1 working day (24 hours) of the start date = no refund.